CONTROLLER-CPU

Explore this help section for different topics and issues.
Forum rules
A Tajima commercial embroidery machine and DG/ML by Pulse software group but those using other machines or software are welcome to join. Lots of information in the Files and Links section of the group.

Rules are simple 1) No flaming. Disagreements are OK but rudeness and disrespect are not 2) No blatant advertising but postings of Tajima or Pulse pricing specials, new machine model introductions, software upgrades, machine or software classes, show dates, private equipment sales, etc. are fine 3) Off topic conversations will be kept to a minimum
fochu66

CONTROLLER-CPU

Post by fochu66 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:02 pm

Hello,

We operate a total of 5 tajima machines, 3 of them being recent purchase (2016). These newer machines have a controller with an x16 CPU, and a couple of years ago started failing. For instance, plugging a USB stick would sometimes make the machines turn off, or go to sleep on a best case scenario. Lately, one of them wouldn't turn on altogether, only getting a white display and a flashing standby light.

Upon contacting Hirsch, I was told we would need to replace the CPUs at over $5200.00 each... The thing is that these machines have been used lightly, 8 hours a day or less and not even every day.

I could understand it as bad luck if one CPU goes bad, but if all 3 of them fail I have to consider that the CPUs are just crap, made to last a couple of years. If we were to buy new CPUs, there would be no guarantee they won't go bad as the originals; we can't afford to be spending upwards of $5500 every 3-4 years to keep them running.

A tech (not from Hirsch) suggested we get the X21, which according to him "still have to see one go bad".

So here are the questions: are there any other controllers we could use (eg Chinese/generic) that would cost less?
Did anyone else experience these issues? Any advice on how to handle this?

Thanks

Joe

WalkerCustomCreation

Re: CONTROLLER-CPU

Post by WalkerCustomCreation » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:44 pm

Our machine is a TEHX so much older, but we did have the control board repaired by PLR Electronics in Texas several years ago and has been working fine since. No idea how that would go on a newer board such as yours.

I searched to see what an x16 looks like and it shows a compact flash card. Not sure if they are standard or optional, might try booting up without the CF card installed to see if behavior changes.

I have used RAID systems that used a CF card for cache, and when the cards go bad strange things happen.

fochu66

Re: CONTROLLER-CPU

Post by fochu66 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:19 am

thanks for the reply!

We tried PLR and Pinpoint, both confirmed the CPU cannot be fixed... :(